Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Heart Challnege: The First 100 Days

How it all began!! While I was reading the Pleasant Grove Review I came across an article by Dr. Paul Robinson. I remembered the Robinson family in my ward as I was growing up in Lehi. The picture of Paul lead me to read the article. He wrote about the 100 Day Heart Challenge. After reading the article I thought I would apply. I had been trying to start an exercise program at home and to eliminate diet caffeine drinks. I had concerns about my cholesterol and high blood pressure.
Sooo..I applied. I knew they were going to select 15 women, but I felt that my age would be a disadvantage. I applied anyway. I thought, 'you need to apply.' So I did. I was surprised that I was selected and even more surprised that I was the oldest in the program. At one of our meetings we were to tell something unique about yourself. I said, "I can't think of anything unique." Two of the ladies spoke up and said you are the oldest. So my uniqueness is my age. (Smile)
After the first day of learning about the exercise equipment and going through the exercise routines, I was encouraged to wear something other than sandals. The truth is I don't own a pair of running shoes or any shoe that would be appropriate to exercise in. Runners Corner was recommended as a good place to look for shoes. I went there. I tried on about eight pairs of shoes. I walked around the store and then outside on the sidewalk. I tried on shoes with different lacings, colors, and comfort. I found the perfect pair for me.
After the first day of the treadmill, exercise bike, weights, and new shoes. I went home and to my surprise I did not have my usual backache. The shoes made the difference. (Thanks, Traci)

No comments:

Post a Comment