Friday, April 17, 2009

Holidays Food and Portions

At our nutrition class this week we talked about fad diets. Jalaine gave us a handout on some popular fad diets. I had tried several of the diets and also tried some that were not on her list. I remember that on one diet I had shots and could eat all the protein I wanted to breakfast but I had to only eat fruit and vegetables that rest of the day. (Up to 8 oranges a day) On another diet I ate so many carrots that I turned my skin orange. This challenge has made me look at FOOD and Portions. On Easter I made my old favorites: ham, potato salad, baked beans, and other salads. As I was preparing the food I tried to count the calories. I used all the resources. I had a half a cup of this and a fourth of a cup of something else. I had a few tablespoons of other things. I tried to be a conscious eater and I enjoyed every bite. I savored the food instead of eating on the run. I was able to eat with the family and still stay within my calorie allotment. (One day down-each day has its challenges). When I prepared the Easter treats for my grandchildren I choose mostly (not completely) healthy snacks to go in their bags. I had part of a bag of Reese Chocolate Eggs left over and I ate a couple of the eggs on Monday. I told my husband to take the rest of the candy and put it away. When I went into the pantry the first thing I saw was the candy. I put it away and when when one of the grandchildren came over that day I gave the candy away. I have been trying to incooperate sweets back into my food choices. I started this a few weeks ago. The first weeks on this challenge I treated sugar as the forbidden food. Now I have a little taste of this of that. The book Intuitive Eating is helping me with food choices.

2 comments:

  1. Isn't it funny that after all the diets we have tried, Eat this, don't eat this. The diet that works is eat anything, just watch the portion sides. Who knew!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lynda, Keep up the good work. You are doing great. Because of you I have read the book "Intuitive Eating" and it is very helpful. I even walk on the treadmill and did weights this morning. I have lots of room to improve but trying. Jean H

    ReplyDelete